March’s Gardening Calendar
Spring usually arrives by mid-March and the frequent sunny days provide the opportunity for an increasing range of gardening tasks. It’s time to get busy preparing seed beds, sowing seed, cutting back winter shrubs and generally tidying up around the garden.
- Protect new spring shoots from slugs
- Plant shallots, onion sets and early potatoes
- Plant summer-flowering bulbs
- Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials
- Top dress containers with fresh compost
- Mow the lawn on dry days (if needed)
- Cut back Cornus (dogwood) and Salix (willow) grown for colourful winter stems
- Hoe and mulch weeds to keep them under control early
- Start feeding fish and using the pond fountain; remove pond heaters
- Prune bush and climbing roses
Courtesy of the Royal Horticultural Society are 10 jobs which need to be completed this month.